Saturday, February 28, 2009

The History of Jewelry Designs - Baroque Era

When I was in college, I did a summer study in Würzburg, Germany which has many examples of Baroque and Rococo architecture. I was inspired to create this necklace based on my memories of touring baroque churches and other buildings in that style.
A friend gave me a box of old costume jewelry to re-purpose and that's where I got the brooch. I turned it into a pendant and embellished it a little more with Swarovski crystal charms and gold-filled chain link (to make the bail).  I think the original stones in the brooch are Swarovski crystals, as they match the beads I used in color perfectly!







From 1620-1700, the name Baroque is derived from a Portugese jewelers term "barrocco", meaning "irregular formed pearl". It was preceded by the renaissance and succeeded by the neoclassicism style. The style was a development of the Renaissance style and is characterized by lively, curved, and exuberant forms, by vigorous movement, and by rich ornament, based on classical sources, and symmetrical designs. Utilizes gemstones and pearls.  To read more about this period, check out the Antique Jewelry University.



1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful piece!
    Thanks for sharing, and congratulations on your work!
    That's some really nice stuff!
    It's very sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!
-Blanche

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails